2018 €2 Commemorative Coins

Views: 2833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That guideline only applies to the non-EU, non-eurozone countries using the euro which mint their own euro coins through a monetary agreement (like indeed Vatican City). Luxemburg is a EU and eurozone member and have always issued their euro coins into circulation all the way since 1 January 2002. Likewise Belgium. Even if such a guideline applied to Belgium, they could still meet that requirement using the other value coins. It's percentage of total coins produced not, percentage of each coin value. No country is forced to bring coins of each value into circulation each year. Belgium has only issued €0,01, €0,02, €0,05, €0,10 and €0,50 coins in recent year. No coins bearing the effigy of King Philippe of €0,20, €1 or €2 have appeared in circulation yet.

Well, nevertheless I was able to acquire the loose coin.

Did you got in from circulation/rolls? 

Hey

Probably not :-)

All "UNC" coins are the same as the ones in the coincard.

As some people don't want the package around their coin, some have not been packed into a coincard. But most "UNC" coins are actually taken out of the coincard.

The national Bank of Belgium doesn't want to have 2 euro commemorative in circulation rolls any more since the large queues at the National Bank offices for the Red Cross coin in 2014. The only exception was the 2015 common coin (30 years EU Flag). 

The 2016 Child Focus UNC coins have been distributed by the Royal Mint at a higher price than nominal value.

The reasons for queue are that the coins are minted in limited numbers, get finished in a day or two and persons who can stand in the queue, can make good profits on the same day.

These coins should be minted as on demand, as is done by Australia.

But... On demand is not possible in the euro-zone because the European Central Bank is monitoring the quantity of coins. 

As we use less cash money, there has been no need for extra coins in Belgium since 2012. So only a very limited quantity of coins can be minted.

Like Vatican, Monaco etc were specifically directed to mint more of Commemorative coins, can Belgium, Ireland etc not be directed to do that?

Shortage of man made objects is against the spirit of free market and hence EU 

I’m pretty sure Monaco, Vatican City and the other microstates were not directed to mint more commemorative €2 coins. If anything they reduced the quantities. The last few years have minted 10000 to 15000 units per coins which is even less than their very first commemorative coin (Grace Kelly).

Well, I bought it (for €9). I don’t know how the shop acquired it though. Wouldn’t surprise me if they remove them from the coincards. 

RSS

Find us on Facebook

© 2018   Created by Creator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service